Monday, July 05, 2010

La Semana Ch***ada

La Semana Ch***ada.
Or, in Bowdlerized English; "That Was The Week That Was."

(I found out that there is actually a place in the state of Jalisco called "La Chingada" Increible.)

Please pardon my Español, but this has been a very interesting Week, as in the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times." It deserves that appellation.

When we returned fron Mexico City on June 23, both Doña Cuevas and I had suffered various degrees of intestinal upsets. We had taken only over the counter medications for it, and Pedialyte electrolyte replacer.

On Friday, her ilness was dormant and mine was becoming more active. On Saturday, I went to Dr. G. who prescribed to me some Ciprofloxacino 500 mg. tablets and Lacteol Fort, a concentrated Acidophilus culture.
By Sunday morning, I felt fine, in fact, energetic, and I cooked a big comida for us and one guest.

Monday, came the Storm. It was a driving, wind-swept rain, pushing, punishing hail. Water came under our front door and into the garage. Because we have EZ-2-Kleen tile floors, that was not a big problem to soak it up.

Meanwhile that afternoon, Doña Cuevas was showing signs of fever and tiredness, but otherwise seemed fine. Abut 10 p.m., she got up to visit the bathrom, and all was silence. I went in and checked on her and it was obvious by her semi conscious awareness that she needed to go to a hospital. We are familiar with these symptoms from previous incidents.

I called Dr. G, who arranged to meet us at Clínica Don Vasco in Pátzcuaro. (This is an example of one of the exceptional times we drive at night.)

Once inside the small, neat clinic, she was treated with fast acting solutions via IV to rapidly improve her condition.

By morning, she was much better, and by late afternoon, she was released.

There was a followup at Dr. G's consultorio next morning. Traffic in and out of Pátzcuaro has been ch***ado since we'd come back on the bus from Mexico City. Tree trimming was underway along Avenida Lázaro Cárdenas, and the traffic flow diverted to narrow streets through Colonia Revolucíon. One of these streets resembles a malpaís of lava blocks punctuated with elevated sewer covers. Buses and all vehicles choked this route and a barely better one a few blocks west. So the usual 5-10 minute trip to Centro was taking 30 or more minutes at times.

Dr. G prescribe her the same meds, and after 2 days of taking them, is almost completely recovered.

Back home, we rested and cleaned up. Late in the day Tuesday, a friend told us that the Rancho water pump se ha decompuesta. (BUSTED.)
Next morning our landlord told us that a bolt of lightning had struck it. Money had been raised among the rancheros to repair and replace it, but for now, all our running water depended on what we had left in our tinaco.
Conservation measures were  begun, and we got a lot of buckets and a 55 gallon drum from a friend in Tzintzuntzan.
Adjustment was difficult at first, but after a day or so, we got the hang of bathing with a cereal bowl and heating rain water on the stovetop.

Meanwhile, we struggled to prepare for a special July 4th comida slated for Sunday afternoon. The prospect looked grim for that event, but our amiga in Tzintzuntzan saved the day by offering her home and grounds. We gratefully accepted.

The comida and party take place this afternoon, and we hope to have a good time, if the lake doesn't rise nor the volcano awakens.*

 Don Cuevas

* PS: Maybe our luck has changed for the better. The party and comida went smashingly well and all the guests enjoyed themselves.

PPS: YES!! Our luck has changed for the better. The pump was fixed and we have running water once again.


Tancho said...

Glad to here that both of you are doing better, it's no fun to be under the weather so to speak...both ways.
I hope you remember your suspected cause of this trauma....maybe an expose would be beneficial to your readers who visit the Big Tamale (DF)

Don Cuevas said...

Tancho, I can't lay the blame to el Tamal GRande, as la Sra. was already suffering some symptoms while we were in NY State.

There, it was, in a Diner I suspect, a poorly handled turkey, cheese and bacon panino, with ugly lettuce.

I had the ailment there, too.

The rest comes from our diferences in general health.

Don Cuevas

Felipe said...

So, that evening you two drove into town to see the doctor, did la doña drive in a semi-unconscious condition? I´ve never seen you behind the wheel, ever.

Regarding the traffic jam going into town due to the tree-trimming: Enter downtown via El Manzanillal. Much nicer, much faster.

Glad everything seems to be back to normal out there in the sticks.

Tancho said...

I heard you the first time!

Steve Cotton said...

I have noticed the same poroblem with comments lately. I had a triple header show up yesterday. But I am glad to hear your maladies are over.

Don Cuevas said...

Looks like we have 3 visible comments out of 6 submitted, so Blogger is apparently still ch***ado.

Don Cuevas